Tuesday, November 5, 2013

COOK'S HELPERS-SPICE SUBSTITUTES



I have two 8x11 baskets in my kitchen to hold all of my spices.  My 
husband could not figure out why I needed all those spices.  He was
a good cook because he worked as sous chef when he was a young
man.  He was satisfied with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic 
powder.  I liked using some of the spices I saw the chefs using on 
the Food Network.  I had trouble finding these spices at our local 
markets.  I used the spice substitute chart a lot since mace. carda-
mon and marjoram was not always available.  I guess customer 
demand and the popularity of the food channels caused the local
grocery stores and markets to start stocking unique and ethnic
spices.  I even found chipotle and ancho chili powder recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment