Thursday, December 5, 2013

COOKWARE GUIDE


I didn't realize there were rules for choosing cookware.  I just purchased the same types
of pots and pans my mother used when I 
got married.  I inherited her navy blue spotted enamelware roaster and it still cooks the best
turkey.  I recently  discovered that this type of 
roaster is consider vintage now I only use it for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey roasting. 
It is still in good shape with no rust spots on it. 

I have always owned various sizes of cast iron 
frying pans.   I lost my large frying pan when
my youngest son and the little girl next door 
made mud pies in it.  It took me two weeks to
get a full confession of  "whodunnit" from  the
two of them. My son is grown now and doesn't
like for me to tell this story. He still remembers
his punishment for messing up my best frying 

pan.  I was not happy with the condition of my
pan. It had been hidden under some bushes for
two weeks.  I had to thrown it out. My mother 
found me a replacement large fryer at a second 
hand store.  

I began watching the Food Network and Cooking Channel and discovered that the pot or pan you
use make a big difference in the quality of your cooking and baking.  The pots and pan that these chefs use are not cheap.  I have found  a grill pan
and a Cephalon sauce pan at Home Goods at a reasonable price. 


I have found an excellent cookware guide online:

FRYING PAN






  • Curved side walls for easy stirring and sliding food out of the pan
  • Ideal for frying, scrambling, sauteing or searing
  • Sloped sides prevent steam from forming in the pan

SAUTE PAN


  • Wide bottom area for maximum heat conduction
  • Ideal for sauteing, searing, braising, deglazing, poaching, and stir frying
  • Straight, high sides help contain food and expose all sides to heat


 WOK


  • Feature flat bottoms, or round bottoms for high heat concentration. Round bottom woks 
  • require a wok ring to sit on a standard burner
  • Ideal for stir frying or wok applications
  • Deep curved sides promote excellent food movement


 SAUCE POT









  • Wide bottom area for maximum heat conduction
  • Ideal for slow cooking stews, sauces, soups, casseroles and roasts while
  • reducing the content 


STOCK POT


  • Thick base for a good slow simmer
  • Ideal for stocks, soups, pastas, bulk 
  • vegetables and seafood
  • Smaller diameter and taller height of pot
  • preserves liquids longer and forces the
  •  liquid to bubble up through the ingredients, maximizing flavor transfer 
 
ROASTING PAN 
 


  • Handles allow for easy oven loading and unloading, as well as convenient
  •  transportation
  • Heavy duty construction and large size accommodates roasts, hams, and 
  • turkeys

CAST IRON









  • Heavy duty
  • Great for sauteing, searing, and frying


DOUBLE BOILER







* Great for melting chocolate and preparing delicate sauces, reheating, and moisture
 free cooking 








No comments:

Post a Comment